New Tech at it’s heart is about caring for the people in our community. Our organization is focused on our 30,000+ members helping each other with our tech careers and companies to build better community together.
We’ve all had a mixed bag of a year no matter how much you see it as being an overall great or not so great year for yourself. As we move into the most introspective week of the year, I hope you’ve had a great holiday so far and are ready for this special time.
I love this phase of the holiday season where everything slows down, stress and deadlines take a vacation, and I can look at my life from a clearer and more focused perspective.
If you’re starting to get the end of the year itch of reflection too, I invite you to start by scanning the past year and notice at least one great thing that happened each month. (This is a good practice to do every night in scanning your day before sleep too.)
It’s so easy to be looking ahead and not acknowledge what you’ve been accomplishing along the way. Give yourself a pat on the back, a smile and a hug before you do anything else.
Here are some questions to ponder in this transition time between 2017 and 2018.
- What went right and wrong in your 2017?
- What surprises (happy and sad) did you experience in your 2017?
- What did you learn from the surprises and outcomes of your last year?
- How did you hold yourself back in your 2017?
- How will you be bolder in your 2018?
- What is your 2018 focus (personally, professionally, relationally, socially, financially, spiritually)?
- What are your values driving why your focus and goals matter?
- What goals matter most in your 2018?
- What do you need to do to achieve your 2018 goals?
- How will you celebrate your accomplishments along the way?
We’re on this little planet for a very short time, so what matters most is making your time, actions, and experiences fulfilling. I hope asking yourself these questions can be helpful to you in the next steps of doing what matters for you.