Director of Marketing & Communications
James J. Bak 2587 NE 85th Street
Seattle, WA 98115
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
Results driven marketing professional with 20 years of global experience in corporate and product communications. Proven success leading product marketing and corporate communications in a digital world from technology start-ups to Fortune 500 companies. Respected, collaborative team leader known for achieving results that consistently drive brand awareness, corporate reputation and sales. Demonstrated skills: Corporate Communications:
- Public Affairs
- Crisis Management
- Analyst & Investor Relations
- Corporate Spokesperson
- Executive Speechwriting
Product Marketing Communications:
- Digital PR
- Social Media
- Content Creation
- Entertainment PR
- Spokesperson Training
INRIX, Inc., Kirkland, WA – 2009 – 2015
INRIX connects cars to smarter cities improving how people and commerce moves across the world’s transportation networks. Director of Marketing and Communications
- Led global corporate and product communications strategy collaborating directly with the CEO and Global Vice President of Marketing Communications growing the company from 90 to more than 250 customers.
- Served as the company’s primary spokesperson frequently speaking at industry events and conferences.
- Directed launch of first of its kind connected car services since adopted by Ford, Audi, BMW and Lexus.
- Managed the company’s public position on various public affairs issues. Topics included the London Olympics, U.S. infrastructure investment, data privacy and a proposed Washington State Income Tax resulting in CEO Bryan Mistele being interviewed on 60 Minutes.
- Hosted events with Governor Christine Gregoire and Congresswoman Suzan DelBene at company headquarters helping state leaders promote Washington as a great place for innovative young companies.
- Conceived and authored the definitive global report on urban mobility, The INRIX Traffic Scorecard, featured on the front page of USA Today and covered annually by 200+ media worldwide.
- Developed the company’s industry leadership platform directing team efforts to secure executive speaking opportunities at major conferences including Bloomberg, CES and Al Gore’s CEO Summit.
- Managed $4 million in marketing spend to achieve $20M in share of voice last year leading functional teams across paid, earned, shared and owned media in Europe and North America.
XBOX, Redmond, WA – 2006 – 2009
Created by gamers, for gamers, Xbox revolutionized gaming and digital entertainment as the first console to connect players with their games, their friends and their digital lifestyle all on one platform.
Senior Communications Manager
- Directed consumer strategy and execution for the launch of Halo 3. The fastest selling entertainment property in history outsold the Spider Man 3 movie and the Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows book release.
- Led consumer strategy for the launch of the original Gears of War game — the best-selling Xbox 360 game that year and one of the top selling game franchises in Xbox history.
- Launched popular racing game “Forza Motorsport 2” to critical acclaim from gaming, motorsports and consumer lifestyle audiences sparking sales of more than 1 million copies in the first two months of release.
- Led the 2006 Xbox holiday PR campaign managing a team that secured coverage in 40 of the Top 50 daily newspapers, 50 top-tier national consumer magazine gift guides, every network morning show as well as Ellen, ESPN, BET and FOX. Microsoft out-sold Playstation and Nintendo for the first time that holiday.
Edelman, Seattle, WA – 2003 – 2006
Edelman is the world’s largest independently owned public relations firm, with more than 5,000 employees in 65 cities and annual revenues in excess of $800M. Clients include Dos Equis, Xbox and the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Senior Account Supervisor
- Led a team developing communications strategy and execution for Microsoft’s first in-car infotainment software platform Windows Automotive.
- Conceived and launched the industry’s first Connected Car concept covered widely by industry and auto enthusiast media and analysts including AP, Automotive News, Detroit News, Gartner, Fortune and Motor Trend leading to Microsoft’s first automotive customers – Fiat and Ford Motor Company.
- Developed and managed the company’s automotive industry thought leadership platform securing speaking opportunities for Microsoft executives at major conferences including CES, Automotive News World Congress, CTIA and ITS World Congress.
Waggener Edstrom, Bellevue, WA – 2001 – 2003
Waggener Edstrom is a creative public relations and integrated communications agency with offices around the globe. The firm is most often associated with its largest client, Microsoft.
- Directed and executed Microsoft corporate communications strategy. Advised company executives, legal counsel and public relations teams on managing sensitive communications including a potential lawsuit led by famed attorney Johnnie Cochran.
- Served as Microsoft’s primary spokesperson on reorgs, layoffs, executive departures and other HR issues.
- Mitigated negative coverage and drove positive features on company benefits, recruiting and culture in key media including Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Seattle Times and CNN.
Golin, Chicago, IL – 1994 – 2000
Named PR Week 2015 Global PR Agency of the Year, Golin consistently ranks among the top public relations and integrated marketing communications agencies in the world. Promoted 3x during tenure with increasing responsibility and accountability.
Senior Account Executive
- Led media relations for the launch of Mercedes-Benz first fuel cell prototype car in North America covered by more than 200 national and international media.
- Drove coverage in Sports Illustrated and on ESPN and Late Night with David Letterman for a Campbell’s Soup promotion with Second Harvest Food Bank. Campaign featured hockey great Wayne Gretzky immortalized as the first person to appear on a Campbell’s Soup label.
- On behalf of Bayer Aspirin, formed a foursome of PGA, LPGA and Senior PGA Tour players called Team Bayer for a fundraising campaign that raised more than $1M for the American Heart Association.
NOTABLES & QUOTABLES
- Quoted on the front page of USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Re/Code and National Geographic. Featured on NPR and The Today Show.
- Co-Author of the definitive report of traffic congestion in Europe and North America , The INRIX Traffic Scorecard
- Accomplished speaker on the impact of data, cars and tech on future mobility.
- Secured coverage for companies and their products across various news outlets ranging from Today Show, MTV, Late Night with David Letterman and The Tonight Show to FOX, CNBC, 60 Minutes, Associated Press, The Verge and Wired to name a few.
Bradley University. Peoria, Illinois.
B.S. in Public Relations, Journalism
To contact this candidate email firstname.lastname@example.org